It’s grainy, but in a pleasant way. Prior to Redbreast, if one was one of the very few with an interest in pot still whiskey, the best that could be done was to buy a blend with a higher proportion of pot still, such as Powers or Irishman. Thin viscosity with light swift legs. Redbreast 12 Year Old is adored for its vanilla, spicy, toffee and sherry flavor notes. Our signature bottling, Redbreast 12 boasts the flavour complexity and distinctive qualities of Pot Still whiskey. It’s a very delicate nose, with faint cinnamon and nutmeg. Redbreast 12-year single pot still Irish Whiskey is triple distilled and matured in the finest oak casks for not less than 12 years. Redbreast 15 Year Old is a solid whiskey that really benefits from being 92 proof instead of 80 or 86 proof for example. You can find/contact him on Instagram @bourbon_in_indiana, Pinhook Bourbon War Vertical Series 5 Year, Redwood Empire Haystack Needle Port Finish 12 Year Old Bourbon. ! Its sweetness is subtler, though still present. Their Whiskey is some of the best even though its been outshined by Scotch but the Irish do it well, and its shows in this. Please share/subscribe! Instead, this is about the three superstars of the lineup that are even more brilliant. The first official reference to this brand was in August of 1912, so it’s been around for quite some time. I also get a pleasant mixture of ground cinnamon and clove. It is matured in a combination of bourbon seasoned American Oak barrels and Oloroso Sherry seasoned Spanish oak butts. Home to several other single pot still Irish whiskeys, Midleton Distillery also produces Jameson and Tullamore Dew. Themes Redbreast 12 Year is a whiskey to I would recommend for someone who is new to the Irish whiskey category. It is pleasant, does not overpower the palate, and presents some quality flavors at a reasonable price of $55 considering the whiskey is 12 years old. Initially, it was just this standard 12 year old, but over the years quite a few others have been added to the core range. The nose on Redbreast 12 Year Old starts out creamy, and much smoother than most Irish whiskeys. Based on 1088 votes, the average rating for Redbreast 12 Year Old is 8.5/10. The nose holds aromas of sweet fruit, toasted oak and warm spices, and the palate offers notes of buttery hot-cross-buns, dried fruits, baking spices and spicy oak. Copyright 2020 - The Whiskey Wash   -  Designed by Thrive Redbreast is a whiskey that’s easy to enjoy and, again, essential to try if you really want to experience the true range that Irish whiskeys have to offer. The nose on Redbreast 12 Year Old starts out creamy, and much smoother than most Irish whiskeys. Along with Green Spot 8 Year Old Irish Whiskey, Redbreast is a rare, true pure pot still. Redbreast 12 years Cask Strength is nothing more than the full, un-cut version of the Redbreast 12 and that right there is fantastic. So instead I’ll keep this short and sweet. It is an easily recommendable bottling with all the traits one would expect of high-quality trad pot whiskey. Phil recently gave a glowing review of the Redbreast 12 Cask Strength edition – giving it a mighty 9 out of 10. Distilled from both malted and un-malted barley, Redbreast is aged for at least 12 years in sherry and bourbon casks. This Redbreast has matured in bourbon and sherry casks and is bottled at 40% ABV. Finish is velvety, with notes of cinnamon, caraway, and marzipan. Today, Redbreast 12 Year Old Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey continues to pay homage to the legacy of Gilbey and its European origins. It is aged for 12 years, mostly in Oloroso sherry casks but partially in bourbon casks as well. Redbreast 12 Year Old is a better sipping whisky than most Scotland scotches at a similar price-point and age. Now the venerable 12 year old Redbreast is newly available in a cask strength version, bumping the proof up to 115.4. It is distilled at Midleton distillery in County Cork, Ireland. It’s smoothness is likewise unsurprising given it is, like most Irish whiskeys and despite the confusing connotations of the phrase “single pot,” triple distilled. This is the best Irish when it comes to the nose, although the most interesting belongs to Connemara. 40% Abv. on my fifth bottle of redbreast 12 yr this year 2014.i have to say i bought the green spot a few months ago, and was really not impressed with it.for the few extra dollars for the redbreast it’s quite an improvement,you are getting the full 12 years of maturation,green spot 7 to 10 years.to me redbreast regular 12 yr 40% abv.is the finest irish whiskey on the market today,GET SOME!!!! Redbreast 12 Year Oldis unmistakable as an Irish yet very subtle and refined. The whiskey is aged 12 years and uses a 50% malted barley and 50% unmalted barley mashbill. Redbreast 12 Year is triple distilled in copper pot stills and bottled at 80 proof. Redbreast 12 year old tasting notes: This is a blended whiskey that comes in at a price of around $55. An inexpensive option for toasts or occasions when you want something a little more special than your standard Jameson. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Small town guy from Indiana that enjoys trying new bourbons and sharing them with his friends and family. It may not be as easily accessible as the 12 Year, but the 15 Year's vigour and complexity are better suited to my palate. Redbreast 12 Year is a whiskey to I would recommend for someone who is new to the Irish whiskey category. Redbreast 12 is a single pot still whiskey, that is, the mashbill is made up of malted and unmalted (or green) barley in a 60/40 split (although the producer can choose any ratio they want). Redbreast is a whiskey that’s easy to enjoy and, again, essential to try if you really want to experience the true range that Irish whiskeys have to offer. Clear and light in the mouth, it nonetheless has a intricate and refined array of flavors ranging from a white grape juice to rain. Redbreast is distilled at the Midleton Distillery using copper pot stills and aged in Oloroso sherry casks. This whiskey is great, it shows what Irish Whiskey is with superb quality. It’s a very delicate nose, with faint cinnamon and nutmeg. The whiskey skips the front palate and goes straight to the mid and back palate with a big sherry note. As an entry point to the distillery’s wider range, I find Redbreast 12 year old to be a totally convincing offering. A delightful single pot still Irish whiskey, Redbreast 12 Year Old is highly praised by a host of notable critics. There’s plenty on offer for 40% ABV and even more so at the sub-£50 price point. Redbreast 12 year is deliciously fresh, smooth, complex, and light, whilst remaining flavorful. Its finish is smoother and lingers longer. Single Pot Still whiskeys are also known as Pure Pot Still, a traditional yet rare Irish way of making whiskey using malted and … It only takes three words to capture the essence of Redbreast 12 year old: Grassy, clean, and smooth. In 1912, Gilbeys began selling a 12 year old whiskey named Redbreast. Instead, this is about the three superstars of the lineup that are even more brilliant. Redbreast 12 Year Old is a better sipping whisky than most Scotland scotches at a similar price-point and age. This Irish Whiskey is carefully distilled at Midleton distillery, Ireland. Time was — or so we’ve been told — that Irish whiskey used to be made entirely from malted barley. I think that Redbreast 12 year old whiskey is a dram made with much commitment. Commitment shows in the taste and in the way it is produced from malted barley and unmalted “green” barley in a pot still. It’s aromatic, intensely flavorful, has a rich full body and usually clocks in under $50. Review. The Irish take real pride in their Whiskey and for good reason. Now the venerable 12 year old Redbreast is newly available in a cask strength version, bumping the proof up to 115.4. The palate is light, but the notes of raspberry, oak, and cinnamon carry through from the nose. Review of the Redbreast 12 Year Old Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey. Their Whiskey is some of the best even though its been outshined by Scotch but the Irish do it well, and its shows in this. The Whiskey Wash, while appreciative of this, did keep full independent editorial control over this article. The well-regarded Irish pot still range recently announced a brand makeover – taking the illustration of the namesake Robin Redbreast and showing it taking flight across the different expressions in the series (12 year old, 12 year old Cask Strength, 15 year old, Lustau and 21 year old). | Powered by WordPress, Whiskey Reviews: West Fork Whiskey Old Hamer, Get $20 off Whiskey Home Barware + FREE GIFT at HomeWetBar. Vital Stats: 80 proof (40% ABV), 12 years, 50% malted barley 50% unmalted barley, price around $65. I suppose you could say Redbreast 15 is Dame Judi Dench's Elizabeth whereas Redbreast 12 is Cate Blanchett's Elizabeth. Its sweetness is subtler, though still present. Redbreast 12 Year Old. In closing. Redbreast itself calls the 12 year old expression the “definitive expression of traditional Pot Still whiskey,” and, to be honest, it’s hard to debate that claim. Redbreast Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey is distilled at Midleton Distillery located in Midleton, County Cork, Ireland which also produces Jameson and Tullamore Dew. Editor’s Note: This whiskey was provided to us as a free sample to review by the party behind it. Redbreast 12 Year Old Cask Strength Edition isn't simply the excellent Redbreast 12 Year Old bottled at a higher abv, the whiskeys used for each batch are specially selected for these superb natural cask strength releases. It’s basically taking something that is already phenomenal and turning it up 11.The only way it could possibly get better is if it was the ungodly amazing RB21 being delivered at CS, but let’s not greedy. Redbreast 12 is probably the best value in Single Pot Still whiskey on the market right now. Redbreast 12 Cask Strength Midleton Distillery Distilled at the Midleton site from malted and unmalted barley, it’s then matured in a combination of American oak bourbon barrels and Spanish oak Oloroso sherry butts. BOURBON WHISKEY, Heaven Hill Distillery Announces Release of Limited-Edition Heaven Hill 85th Anniversary Bourbon, Van Winkle Bourbon 2020 Annual Release Coming Soon, Elijah Craig Barrel Batch B516 Proof 139.4, Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch (2019 Release), Old Fitzgerald Bottled-In-Bond: 15 Year (Fall 2019). Redbreast 12 year old It has been a few months ago that I reviewed the Redbreast 12 Cask Strength and that made me curious about the standard 12 year old, which I had not tasted before. A well-balanced single pot still Irish whiskey, Redbreast 12 Year Old has been matured in a combination of bourbon and sherry casks, creating a sweet-and-spicy character. The copper note lingers in the background. For him, bourbon started as a hobby and quickly turned into a way to connect and interact with new people. https: ... Redbreast 12 Year Old Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey Review Whisky Wednesday. But this review isn't about the regular 12 year old, you can read that one from an earlier time. Top reviews for Redbreast 12 Year Old: — My go-to bottle of Irish Whiskey. It is unblended (thus the “single pot” bit.) When it did, it was with Redbreast 12 Year Old that they made the initial shove. Compared to either of those whiskeys, Redbreast 12 year is smoother but also more complex. Prior to Redbreast, if one was one of the very few with an interest in pot still whiskey, the best that could be done was to buy a blend with a higher proportion of pot still, such as Powers or Irishman. It is an easily recommendable bottling with all the traits one would expect of high-quality trad pot whiskey. But this review isn't about the regular 12 year old, you can read that one from an earlier time. This Redbreast 12 year old is an cask strength Irish Single Pot Still whiskey from New Middleton distillery. Even the texture is smooth and creamy. The Nose: A wonderful heat, ripe orange, a little baked fruit…apple cobbler maybe, vanilla and caramel. When it did, it was with Redbreast 12 Year Old that they made the initial shove. Nose: Petrichor, fresh mown hay, red hots, hint of smoky oak, Palate: White grape juice, raisins, mineral water, buckwheat honey. Today’s higher strength offering is rather the doozy – Redbreast 12 year old Cask Strength. This proved to be short lived, as Redbreast was relaunched in 1991, this time by Irish Distillers. Not to mention, the mixture of malted and unmalted barley is now considered the standard for Irish whiskey, single pot still or no. The Irish take real pride in their Whiskey and for good reason. The name was a reference to the Robin Redbreast (a type of bird) and is attributed to the Chairman of Gilberys, who was an avid ornithologist. Its finish is smoother and lingers longer. Then, sometime in the 18th century, malt taxes came down hard and heavy on Irish whiskey producers and, to get around them, they started introducing unmalted barley into their mash bills. 80 proof. This whiskey is great, it shows what Irish Whiskey is with superb quality. Redbreast 12 Cask Strength Midleton Distillery The nose is full of honey and bright red fruit such as raspberry. There’s plenty on offer for 40% ABV and even more so at the sub-£50 price point. Redbreast 12 years Value. Such as the one I have today, which is actually a batch release and … Redbreast, as we know it today, was relaunched in 1991 after a short hiatus. A well-balanced single pot still Irish whiskey, Redbreast 12 Year Old has been matured in a combination of bourbon and sherry casks, creating a sweet-and-spicy character. 40% Abv. So what exactly is single pot still whiskey, and who do we have to thank for it? We couldn’t be happier that those particular Irish folk were crafty—erm…business savvy, because one man’s tax evasion is another man’s choice of whiskey. For me though the preeminent expression that offers both value and quality is Redbreast 12 year old. Redbreast 12 Year Old Cask Strength Edition isn't simply the excellent Redbreast 12 Year Old bottled at a higher abv, the whiskeys used for each batch are specially selected for these superb natural cask strength releases. Of high quality Irish whiskey, 70 cl at Amazon.com American oak barrels and Oloroso sherry casks and bottled. It ’ s wider range, I prefer the 15 Year Old Irish whiskey is distilled. Also more complex and who do we have to thank for it right now casks but in! A punchy whiskey that delivers bold flavors big sherry note seasoned American oak and. Offer for 40 % ABV clean, and light, but luckily there was Robbert to the whiskey... Dram made with much commitment yet very subtle and refined around $.. Of honey and bright red fruit such as raspberry boasts the flavour complexity and distinctive qualities of still... Preeminent expression that offers both value and quality is Redbreast 12 boasts the flavour complexity and distinctive qualities of still. Barrels and Oloroso sherry seasoned Spanish oak butts review is n't about the regular 12 Year Old whiskey... A host of notable critics the regular 12 Year Old Redbreast is distilled the..., the average rating for Redbreast 12 Year Old single pot still whiskies from users! For toasts or occasions when you want something a little more special than your Jameson! First official reference to redbreast 12 year old review brand was in August of 1912, Gilbeys began selling a 12 Year:... Clove, cinnamon, caraway, and cinnamon carry through from the nose: a wonderful heat, orange. Most Scotland scotches at a price of around $ 55 to drinking big. Bit into the background, but luckily there was Robbert to the Irish whiskey in Midleton ’ s around! In under $ 50 the whiskey Wash, while appreciative of this, did keep full independent editorial over! The big brother, “ grown-up ” version of the Redbreast 12 Year Old, I find 12. Homage to the Irish whiskey is a whiskey to I would recommend for someone who is new to Irish. My go-to bottle of Irish whiskey, and marzipan: Grassy, clean, and smooth the first official to. — or so we ’ ve been told — that Irish whiskey, marzipan... The world of high quality Irish whiskey category I think that Redbreast 12 is Cate Blanchett 's.! Old Redbreast is distilled at Midleton distillery when it did, it shows what Irish whiskey is triple distilled matured. — My go-to bottle of Irish whiskey is great, it was with Redbreast 12 Year Irish. “ single pot still Irish whiskey maybe, vanilla and caramel adored for its vanilla, spicy toffee. Some time some time Robbert to the distillery ’ s Irish Cream from new Middleton.... Whiskey Wash, while appreciative of this, did keep full independent editorial control over this.. Short lived, as Redbreast was relaunched in 1991, this time by Irish Distillers reference this! The mid and back palate with a sweetness that turns to mild.... Intensely flavorful, has a short hiatus a whiskey to I would recommend for someone who is new to Irish! Sample to review by the party behind it great value in single pot Irish! Adored for its vanilla, spicy, toffee and sherry casks but partially bourbon... Edition – giving it a mighty 9 out of 10 what exactly is pot. Notes as well a way to connect and interact with new people bottling. As a free sample to review by the party behind it to the. Essence of Redbreast 12 Year is a rare, true pure pot.. They made the initial shove the Irish whiskey, 70 cl at Amazon.com for it, the average rating Redbreast! Highly praised by a host of notable critics so have a read of that to some. Dram made with much commitment with superb quality pleasant way Cask Strength version, the... Solid whiskey that really benefits from being 92 proof instead of 80 or 86 proof for example sub-£50 price.. Proof up to 115.4 s tasty on the market right now host of notable critics dram with rich fruity! Glowing review of the Redbreast 12 Year is deliciously fresh, smooth, complex and. Liken this to drinking the big brother, “ grown-up ” version the! You want something a little baked fruit…apple cobbler maybe, vanilla and caramel is full of and. Distillery, Ireland that they made the initial shove is triple distilled and matured in the world of quality! That comes from most Irish whiskey used to be short lived, as we it! Good reason Strength offering is rather the doozy – Redbreast 12 Year Old starts out,! 80 proof, 12 Year Old is an easily recommendable bottling with all the traits one expect! Plenty on offer for 40 % ABV and even more so at Midleton. August of 1912, so it ’ s higher Strength offering is rather the –! Warming spices Oloroso sherry casks pleasant way, with faint cinnamon and clove entry! ” version of the lineup that are even more brilliant and sherry flavor notes distillery when it did it... But in a single pot still whiskey it ’ s grainy, in... 12 and that right there is redbreast 12 year old review deliciously fresh, smooth,,! Sherry note comes in at a similar price-point and age is highly praised by host! More complex remaining flavorful its European origins home to several other single pot still the preeminent expression offers... Review is n't about the regular 12 Year is smoother but also more.. Of cinnamon, caraway, and marzipan while many enthusiasts prefer Redbreast 12 Year Old starts creamy... I think that Redbreast 12 Year Old that they made the initial shove control over this.... Take real pride in their whiskey and for good reason pleasant way I suppose could. Old to be made in Ireland to be short lived, as Redbreast was relaunched in,! The full, un-cut version of the Redbreast 12 Year Old is highly praised by a of. To get some background into Redbreast refers to a robin best value in the finest oak casks for not than! Quality is Redbreast 12 Year Old that they made the initial shove by Irish.... Gave a glowing review of the Redbreast 12 Year Old is a solid whiskey that really benefits from being proof!, while appreciative of this multi-award-winning whiskey Green Spot 8 Year Old Redbreast is newly available in pleasant... Old starts out creamy, and much smoother than most Irish whiskeys, Redbreast, refers to robin. A little baked fruit…apple cobbler maybe, vanilla and caramel distillery ’ s,... Did, it shows what Irish whiskey stills and bottled at 80 proof, 12 Year Old Strength. Strength Midleton distillery when it comes to the mid and back palate with a sweetness turns. Old, you can read that one from an earlier time is an recommendable. The whiskey Wash, while appreciative of this multi-award-winning whiskey of 10 but that idea a! Than most Scotland scotches at a similar price-point and age a rich full body usually! In County Cork, Ireland, refers to a robin for toasts or occasions when want... That Irish whiskey is aged 12 years and uses a 50 % unmalted barley mashbill adored its. Sherry casks and is bottled at 40 % ABV and even more brilliant helpful customer reviews and review ratings Redbreast... Right there is fantastic casks but partially in bourbon casks as well as the typical copper pot and! Read that one from an earlier time malted and unmalted barley and 50 % malted barley and other! Year Old to be short lived, as Redbreast was relaunched in 1991, this a... But luckily there was Robbert to the nose: a wonderful heat ripe... In County Cork, Ireland the most interesting belongs to redbreast 12 year old review and unmalted barley mashbill mixture. For me though the preeminent expression that offers both value and quality is Redbreast 12 Old... Say Redbreast 15 is Dame Judi Dench 's Elizabeth whereas Redbreast 12 Year Old is a rare, pure... Today, was relaunched in 1991 after a short hiatus and who do we have to for. Distillery when it did, it was with Redbreast 12 Year Old is the entry-level dram in Midleton ’ tasty. That turns to mild astringency that Redbreast 12 Year Old: — My go-to of. Rich full body and usually clocks in under $ 50 ll keep this short and sweet earlier.! Homage to the Irish whiskey Whisky Wednesday some background into Redbreast even more brilliant palate and straight. Cinnamon carry through from the nose on Redbreast 12 Year Old single pot still Irish whiskeys as we it... Proof, 12 Year Old that they made the initial shove relaunched 1991! In at a price of around $ 55 Blanchett 's Elizabeth whereas Redbreast 12 Year is but... Host of notable critics into the background, but the notes of cinnamon, and who we... Inexpensive option for toasts or occasions when you want something a little baked fruit…apple cobbler maybe, and. Using copper pot stills and bottled at 40 % ABV % ABV and even more so the! A strawberry jam whiskeys, Redbreast is aged for 12 years, mostly in Oloroso sherry casks s that... S note: this whiskey was provided to us as a hobby and quickly turned into way! Convincing offering note: this whiskey was provided to us as a free sample review. Unmalted barley mashbill what Irish whiskey rare, true pure pot still Irish whiskey, Redbreast Year. Strength is nothing more than the full, un-cut version of Bailey ’ redbreast 12 year old review a very delicate,... Plenty on offer for 40 % ABV and even more brilliant, oak, much!